Monday, March 28, 2016

Spring organizing part 1: books and DVDs

Spring is here! Even though here in Colorado we had the worst snow storm of the year two days ago. Spring cleaning and organizing is in full effect. My spring cleaning and organizing routine consists of making a schedule for every weekend and tackling one area at a time. I finish one project then move on to the next one. The key to organizing is doing one area at a time and not moving on to the next project until you finish what you have started.

Last weekend I dedicated my time to organizing my book and DVD collection. I'm a big book lover. I love going to books stores and libraries and I just love that wonderful smell that books have. I have to be honest with you, I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to books. I love having a physical copy of the book. I can't stand reading on a screen. As you can imagine, getting rid of books was hard for me. But, I'll tell you how I did it and you can do it too. The first thing I did is I took all of my books off the bookshelf. I looked at every book I own, read my favorite quotes and remembered what I had learned from them. We all have books that we always talk about, reference for different projects and reread. I say those kinds of books you definitely keep. I have a lot of books on personal and professional development. I go to those books for answers on how to be a better person, a better wife and a better business owner. Books that are just taking space and I know I won't read them, I don't need to keep. Books that didn't really touch me after I read them, I gave away. If I don't reference specific books I thank them and say goodbye. If you have books that you don't read but know that your friend or coworker will love, why not give it to them. Don't let the books be unread!

Over the years I've created a big DVD collection. When I like the movie or a TV show I would buy it so that I can watch it anytime I want. Since my husband and I got married and moved to our new house two years ago, I haven't watched any of my DVDs. So I thought, why do I need to keep them if I don't watch them? Again, I took all of my DVDs off the shelf and started going through one by one. For example, I have all the seasons of Sex in the City, but the truth is I've outgrown the show. I used to watch it all the time after work, but I haven't watched it in about 5 years. It just happened that one of my friends really like the show but she doesn't have every season. When It old her I'm getting rid of Sex and the city she was thrilled to take them off my hands. Every movie I've owned has taught me something. I laughed and I cried but it's time to say goodbye. The knowledge from those movies will always be with me but I felt like I didn't need to hold on to them anymore. I will be honest with you, it was an emotional process but after I took them out of my house, I felt relieved! The good news is I even made a few dollars because I was able to sell some of my movies. Stores like Second Spin and DVD Spot took them off my hands and gave me some cash! It felt good to clear space in my house and made some cash.

Organizing is a process you need to be ready for. Organizing can be emotional so if you are ready to change your life, let yourself be emotional, dig deeper within yourself and ask yourself why you have been keeping certain things. Ask yourself, what will you lose if you get rid of something, and what will you gain. Remember, everything we have in our home has a purpose, so ask yourself, does this serve any purpose? And, go......
2016-03-26-1459036642-1117744-IMG_20160308_162904679.jpg 2016-03-26-1459036690-6598635-IMG_20160308_163052293.jpg


If you are interested in leaning more about Better Life Organizing, please visit my website www.betterlifeorganizing.com

-- This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.











No comments:

Post a Comment